[OpenBIOS] Re: [fb-d] Current States of LinuxBios on SiS 630

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Thu Jun 1 17:48:22 CEST 2000

Ollie Lho wrote:
>         The frame buffer device driver is included in 2.4.0-test1 and later
> kernel. There is some bug in Config.in which makes the option absent when
> make config, but it is really easy to fix. I think we should move to 2.4.0
> now since we are going to need fbdev real soon.

It shouldn't be a big jump from 2.3.99-pre9 to 2.4.0-test1.  Make sure
you get alan cox's latest 'ac' patch (currently ac7), which contains
mucho bug fixes.

>         Finally, could you please put your source to the FreeBIOS CVS ??
> Usually we are unsure if our version matches yours, you know, things like
> this make a lot of trouble.

Let me know if any SIS engineers need CVS commit permissions.  Ronald
and Johan (original STPC BIOS author) already have CVS commit
permission.

> BTW, we are asking VGA BIOS group to release more information/source code.
> I hope we can turn on the monitor ASAP, using ICE and debug card is really a
> pain in the ass.

Note that it is normal for a lot of card initialization secrets, and
also per-OEM memory timing data, to be hidden in VGA BIOS.

> P.S. Jeff, could you review the sisfb for us ?? What are we missing from the
> driver for this special purpose ??

I'm not sure about the oops yet, but with respect to VGA BIOS init:
I've been looking through it already to see if I can get the 6326 card
going with sisfb.

The main thing that appears to be missing is memory configuration.  Just
like linuxbios and DRAM init, the video card's memory timings must be
setup, and video memory sized.  There are many parallels between what a
VGA BIOS does to initialize a video card, and what a PC BIOS does to
initialize a PC.

Beyond that, there may be other differences which are not immediately
apparent from my reading of the specs.  For example VGA emulation mode
may need to be initialized before VGA registers/functions work at all.

You can test sisfb without VGA BIOS init simply by (a) making it the
"non-primary" VGA display card in your PC, and/or (b) removing the video
BIOS ROM from the video card if possible.  Since the PC BIOS -only-
executes the VGA BIOS for the first display card it finds, secondary
cards are not initialized at all.

	Jeff

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de