[OpenBIOS] Re: [fb-d] Re: Keyboard O.K. On SiS 630

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Fri Jun 2 04:51:57 CEST 2000

Ollie Lho wrote:

> Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Ollie Lho wrote:
> >
> > >       You mentioned in a post that you can get monitor on ?? Which frame
> > > buffer device did you use ?? sisfb ?? How did you do that ?
> >
> > No, I am not using sisfb at present since it did not work (oops). I
> > plugged a matrox millenium into my pci bus.
> >

> Which version of kernel ?? 2.4.0 and letter works fine for me.
>
> > Interesting thought: It's very easy if you're using linuxbios to have lots
> > of display cards. I am probably going to take the sis630 MB once it is
> > running linuxbios correctly, put four cards into it, and replace my
> > 20" monitor with 4 14" lcd displays and try to run a multi-headed X. I'm
> > not sure how you do this with xfree86 but it ought to work -- it worked 10
> > years ago on a sun3 ...
> >

> Great !! another AMAZING thing we can show off once we made it.

;-)   Actually XFree86 3.3.x has been able to do multi-head with
matroxfb FBDev for a while now.

XFree86 4.x includes a "softbooter" which initializes non-primary cards
by executing their VGA BIOS, and being _very_ careful to make sure that
only one PCI card can claim the VGA region at any given time.

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de