[OpenBIOS] another free bios project

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it
Tue Jun 20 21:20:13 CEST 2000

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, gram wilson wrote:
>
> >     Talkware TIARA, an Openbios/GRUB/PFORTH composite, BIOS replacement.
>
> > and was wondering if anybody had heard of it?
>
> I've heard of it. I plan to use some of their code for init purposes, I
> think.
>
> > It got me thinking that maybe all of the free bios developers (this
> > project, freebios, openbios, linuxbios) should get together and
> > collaborate on features. This way there would be more developers,
> > which could mean accelerated development, better features, and more
> > testing.
>
> the thing is, linuxbios is not a bios in the sense of the others. our goal
> is to boot linux fast, and let it do the work. We don't care if you can't
> run dos.
>
> I do think that openbios should be picking up on some of the freebios and
> other work. There is too much assembly in openbios for my taste.
>
> ron

As in linux you may or not compile certain modules into the kernel to
make it faster a smaller, I think a modularized project would address
all the needs and give more value to the whole software.

Together all the free/linux/open-BIOS developer may do a better job.

simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9757
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de