[OpenBIOS] Re: another free bios project

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Jun 20 14:00:47 CEST 2000

gram wilson wrote:

> I just came across this project at SourceForge:
>
>     Talkware TIARA, an Openbios/GRUB/PFORTH composite, BIOS replacement.
>     Boots an unmodifed linux kernel from an IDE drive or ethernet, using
>     only 128kb of flash. Works with INTEL/AMD K6/2-450, SiS 530/5595 and
>     8139 enet. VGA & Serial console supported.
>
> and was wondering if anybody had heard of it?
>
> It got me thinking that maybe all of the free bios developers (this
> project, freebios, openbios, linuxbios) should get together and
> collaborate on features. This way there would be more developers,
> which could mean accelerated development, better features, and more
> testing.
>
> Also, I would like to thank all of the people who work on these
> projects now, because a free/open source bios is something we all really
> need.

Hi!

linuxbios is now working out of FreeBIOS cvs.   I started FreeBIOS
mainly because of the lack of updates from the OpenBIOS project.  I
agree we should all get together and merge features.  Note that we not
only need a common codebase, but a very flexible one as well.  linuxbios
seeks to be just enough to boot the Linux kernel, without needing to
initialize much more than the DRAM and mobo chipset.  Tiara and OpenBIOS
seek to be much larger BIOSen.

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              |
Building 1024            | Free beer tomorrow.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de