[OpenBIOS] RE: Information on TIARA project

Larry G. Linde linde at imageman.com
Tue Jun 20 22:02:17 CEST 2000

First off it was not easy. We have been working on it since Feb of this
year. We had four very good SW people on it  full time till mid April. Its
been booting cleanly for about 1.5 months now. There are many changes that
we will be posting to SourceForge and opening up our CVS tree for other to
gain access to.

The current version has moved lots of the code into forth. In addition we
have added lots of diags and other support to make Linux support easier.
This also makes it easier to port to the 620/630 arch's We have looked at
the 620 but are not moving to celeron at this time.

We also had a pretty good ICE system to aid in the debug.

Per the 540 we are looking at moving form the 530 to the 540 because the 530
is EOL'ing this year. We are somewhat price
Sensitive, IE: the Socket 7 (amd k6)

If you use the current tiara you can power up the 530/595/6801 currently
with no problem. The only issue we have is on Linux reboot the IDE cache
looks like its not getting flushed. This we are looking into and need to
solve.

We would be curious to get access to the video bios code for the 530. It was
sorta a pain to figure out power up init on the 530. We finally got it
though. As I said before the KBD controller actually caused us the biggest
problem. We did not catch that we had to clear the power up bit in the
rtc/apc register to get the kbd controller to work for a while. (it took a
month to find that silly problem)
Else we would have been booting Linux in mid march.

-larry