[OpenBIOS] ANNOUNCE: Collecting OpenBIOS patches

Jens Dreger jens.dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jan 19 10:32:51 CET 2000

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 02:47:38AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I've been on this mailing list for about a year, and very little
> movement has occurred during that time.
>
> Since there is still interest in this project, I would like to start
> collecting patches against OpenBIOS 0.0.2-pre1, hopefully leading up to
> a new [unofficial] release.
>
> I am currently working on getting the Intel 430TX (Triton I) low-end
> Pentium chipset working with OpenBIOS.  My goal is to be able to boot
> either an MS-DOS or Linux OS, just like a regular BIOS.
>
> After that, I will probably tackle the Intel 430FX chipset, or a newer
> Via-based chipset like the VT82C686A.
>
> So if you have patched to OpenBIOS, please "diff" them against the
> current release on the Web site, 0.0.2-pre1, and post them to the
> mailing list.  (or e-mail directly me to if the patches are large)
>
> I will integrate all these patches and roll a new tarball, probably
> sometime around Valentine's Day (Feb 14th).
>
> Input, comments, and/or patches are greatly appreciated!  I think
> OpenBIOS is a great project, especially for all the older PCs out there
> with no BIOS updates since 1995 or so....

Hi Jeff !

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately I have no experience with
programming Bioses whatsoever, but I'm very interested to learn more
about this. I do have all kinds of Pentium-based Mainboards. Could you
give me some hints on where to start looking into this topic ? Is
there any kind of HOWTO or any introductory material freely available?

Thanks in advance !

Jens.

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de