[OpenBIOS] Questions...

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Mon Jan 24 20:07:31 CET 2000

Bob Dobbs wrote:

> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> > > By the way LILO in ROM ?? sounds like the right place for it.
> >
> > It wouldn't be difficult at all to put LILO in ROM...
> It would probably be better to a bootloader that complies to a booting
> standard, i.e. GRUB/MultiBoot rather one that can only chainload and
> boot Linux.

I agree, though remember that there is big incentive to get BIOS
interrupt calls going, and LILO supports booting once these are in
place.  Also, hackers will hack on what they want... :)

> Remember that we are focusing on all operating systems, yet free ones
> (all free ones) have a higher priority.

The operating systems for which code is contributed have priority ;)

> If this means taking some time to make all free kerenels
> MultiBoot-compliant, well then it is time well spent.

In any case, supporting more motherboard chipsets, and basic BIOS
interrupts must come long before we worry about advanced stuff like boot
standards.

Regards,

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik         | Andre the Giant has a posse.
Building 1024       |
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de