[OpenBIOS] INFO: How to contribute to OpenBIOS

Bob Dobbs gwilson at ghg.net
Mon Jan 24 18:20:52 CET 2000

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> *** Implement BIOS interrupts.
>
> MS-DOS, LILO, and many other operating systems and programs use BIOS
> calls to communicate with the low-level hardware in a standard way.
> OpenBIOS needs the most popular BIOS calls implemented, so that DOS and
> others can allocate memory, read/write to the drives, and similar
> things.
>
> At present there is no BIOS interrupt processing in OpenBIOS.  So tasks
> include (a) add the necessary hooks for BIOS interrupt processing, and
> (b) implenting each BIOS call one-by-one.
>
> Interested programmers should implement just one or two BIOS calls, then
> send me a patch.  That way we can make the BIOS interrupt framework
> public, so that many others can work individually implementing various
> BIOS calls.
Also important is an OpenFirmware interface because we should migrate
away from x86 real mode interupt system. OpenFirmware would give us a
clean, standard way for boot loaders or OS's to talk to the hardware. It
would give us a configuration interface (albeit not too simple). And we
could include a couple (or one or three) bootloader packages, e.g.
linux_boot, multi_boot, chain_boot.

-graham
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de