[OpenBIOS] ROM-Emulators

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Mon Jan 31 13:23:23 CET 2000

Winter Jörg wrote:

> I was not talking about Software. The Emulator is a little piece of Hardware
> that I bought. It is intended to be inserted into a standard 32 Pin
> Jedec-Memory Socket. Then you download a 64k image via the parallel port of
> any PC into this Hardware. You press reset at the board and it boots ...
> well sometimes ...
>
> If you are interested in such an Hardware try th e following urls as a
> start:
>
> www.hed.de  (they make tools for embedded and microcontrol. I once talked to
> their Boss and got the impression that they are really good!)
>
> www.embedded-tools.de (they have a modular Emulator called PromJet. Its able
> to act like rom/ram/flash up to 16Mbit and 32Bit Words. Furthermore it can
> handle operating voltages from 2 to 5V. It also has an ethernet plug ...)
>
> Well this is not an advertisement ... I did not test these devices but they
> seem interesting to me ...

I'd like to add that list a device I designed specifically for OpenBIOS,
with the help of some other guys on this list. It allows you to switch
between two ROMs (one for running the computer, one for testing new
code), display POST codes, use a character LCD for human readable
debugging messages, and provides a lot of I/O (for embedded
applications).

It's at http://funktronics.dhs.org/openbios/

Yeah, I know that I accidentally switched IOW/IOR, I haven't tried
running Protel under WINE to change it, yet (I cannot boot my tiny
Windows partition, which is just as well. I like it that way anyway. It
boots faster).

I am moving to Halifax, NS on February 15, and I will finally be able to
work on it more with better resources (read: money). I want to be able
to get it into the hands of interested developers quickly and cheaply.
My employers will probably be interested in it as well.

JFunk
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de