[OpenBIOS] ROM-Emulators

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Tue Feb 1 01:06:26 CET 2000

Edwin Rhodes wrote:

> this sounds like a really cool idea! but how would we go about making our
> own board?

There are two ways:

1) use a prototype card. I have one, but it cost me CAN$50. It's pricey,
and prone to wiring errors.

2) Design a board from the schematic. It would have to be double-sided,
therefore not easy to etch in your basement (though it is possible, if
you can get the holes lined up). The best option would be to send it off
to a professional boardmaking service. I have done this before, but the
initial investment can be a little high (though I've heard of an
American place that's really cheap, I'll have to check it out). Overall,
It's still cheaper. I added the I/O stuff partially because that would
make it interesting to embedded companies. Schools would be very
interested as well (the one I went to even asked me about embedded
learning-oriented hardware for a future course). The more boards we (or
some interested company) can sell, the cheaper they will be
individually.

I'm currently in the process of moving, so it will be a month or two,
but I will finish the board and try to get it to whoever wants one, one
way or another. I simply have to verify that it works well before
sending out for boards.

James
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de