[OpenBIOS] l440gx+ nvram writing ...

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Feb 8 09:10:50 CET 2000

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Wallace I. Kroeker wrote:

> Intel (or some other BIOS maker) write a BIOS.  This BIOS has the SMI
> handler in it.  The SMI handler has a signature that it expects from the
> Flash software (written by the said BIOS maker).  The signature is something
> that they won't want to divulge to keep people from inadvertently
> (maliciously) flashing BIOS.

The interesting question: what does the SMI handler do when it gets the
sig? How does it get the sig: you put it in eax? you put it somewhere in
memory? you put it ... well, you get my drift.

How is writing to the NVRAM enabled by SMI handler? it sets a bit
somewhere? where?

> 	1.  Write your own BIOS that has an SMI handler with your own
> signature.

you still need to answer the "hardware enable" question to do this. We
need to know what the SMI handler is doing to enable bios writes.

> 	2.  Use the Flash update utility for your Board to flash your BIOS
> into place

I would do this, but the flash utilities don't appear to know how to flash
the low 1/2 MB of the flash ram!

> 	1.  Write your own BIOS that has an SMI handler with your own
> signature.

Again, we're stuck on unlocking the write enable for NVRAM.
> 	2.  Use LoadBios to put your BIOS in place (NOTE: you will be
> redefining the SMI handler at this point to be your own)

I don't think the SMI handler is tricky. But I'm pretty sure the trick is
in what you do when you want to enable writing that nvram. There's where
I'm stuck.

ron

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de