[OpenBIOS] l440gx+ nvram writing ... the BUD

Steve and Sue Steve.N.Sue at tesco.net
Wed Feb 9 22:52:25 CET 2000

Ron,

this may be veering in the wrong direction, but I've been thinking this one
over and I can't help thinking there must be some way to bypass the BUD
logic (after all, it's only there to stop rogue software updating the flash,
not determined hardware hackers).

Is it possible to lift a pin (pins) on the BUD that is driven by the PIIX4
and connect this through to the appropriate, lifted pin (pins) on the Flash?

Sorry but I'm not up on the hardware side and you seem to have some
technical docs. that may help with this (I don't have the chipset data with
me). I have to update Flash memory through the PIIX4 as a day-to-day
activity and for my board the process is not as involved as on your
motherboard - hence the bypass idea.

Steve