[OpenBIOS] code for linux booting linux

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Feb 11 09:09:36 CET 2000

I was asked to announce this again, so here goes.

At www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios, at the top, there are links to the
following:
1) A context-diff to 2.2.13 to implement the lobos system call.
   Lobos stands for Linux OS Boots OS, and it provides the pieces to
   allow a kernel to read a file in, overlay the current kernel with the
   file, and boot the new kernel. NO BIOS support is needed, so the
   whole thing takes about .5 second on my 600E laptop. Also, the log
   buffer is preserved across boots -- handy.
2) S00 modified to check for /lobos. If /lobos exists then S00reboot
   calls a program to call the lobos system call
3) The script command (/usr/bin/lobos) that is essentially a reboot
   command to make lobos happen
4) finally, a simple .c program that invokes the system call.

Also included on this web page is a paper on how it all works.

Let me know if you have questions, comments, or improvements.

BTW, I'm going to plug openbios into the nvram on my l440gx today using
the intel iflash utility. If this works, next step is booting linux
out of nvram. Wish me luck!

ron

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de