[OpenBIOS] Exception 13 ?

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Sat Feb 12 10:31:55 CET 2000

James wrote:

> As I understand it, the zImage has a whole lot of junk to boot the kernel
> at the start and it is compressd, so you can't just read it and jump to
> it.

Sure you can, as long as the right boot code is attached.  The final
stage of the kernel build looks something like

	make vmlinux
	make bootcode
	gzip -9 vmlinux
	cat bootcode vmlinux.gz > zImage

You can jump directly to zImage, which will trigger the uncompress code.

If you use the "make zdisk" target, Linux will boot straight from a
floppy:

	dd if=zdisk of=/dev/fd0

Regards,

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik         | "Vegetarian" is the Indian word
Building 1024       | for 'lousy hunter.'
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de