[OpenBIOS] Exception 13 ?

Winter Jörg joerg.winter at disch-gmbh.de
Sat Feb 12 08:55:54 CET 2000

James: (jvh at uclink4.berkeley.edu): Thanks for the hint on loading a Kernel,
but:

Now I have a verified routine that loads the kernel (block by block) from my
ATA-Disk into memory (at whatever I like. Currently at 0x00010000). I´m
the setupsectors (4) at 0x9200. It´s just like the other loaders do it
...he?

I have the code like: static void (*v)() =(void *)KERNEL_START;

I start like: v();

and the machine (the openbios) throws me an exception 13. (general
Protection Fault errorcode 0).

I tried nearly any combination of stack-location, entry-adress and
kerneltype ... all fails ...
I now read alot about descriptors and segments and so cause I suspect the
problem is somewhere there ...

But I just dont get the point. What am I doing wrong now ?? I thought the
kernel would just set up and start?

I figured out that already the jump done with the   v();  is the one that
causes the exception, no matter if there is a kernel or just dummy code
(like: jmp $).

There must be something I misunderstood completely !!  Help, I´m lost ...

greetinx,  J.Winter

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de