[OpenBIOS] Starting linux aint much easy ?

Attarian, Gary GAttarian at microtest.com
Tue Feb 15 16:39:56 CET 2000

Oops, this was my bad.  after looking back at your previous posts, Jörg, I
think Ronald is correct.  Which brings me back to an earlier question.
Namely are you loading a zImage or a bzImage?  If you carefully look through
the head.S code, you will notice it deciding whether the kernel is loaded
high or low.  I believe it does this by checking a value generated at
compile time.  Anyway, my understanding is that the big (bzImage) kernels
are loaded high 0x101000 and the smaller (zImage) kernels are loaded into
low memory  at 0x1000.

Assuming OpenBIOS puts the processor into protected mode with a 4g address
space (a good bet as Ronald has already confirmed this), all you should have
to do is jump to the kernel.  If you already have access to the 4g address
space while you are loading the kernel from flash this should be the case.

One last question though, did you say you were loading a vmlinux image
(uncompressed) into memory?  If so, head.S assumes the image is compressed
and trys to uncompress it.
	Gary