[OpenBIOS] Video (particularly 440GX)

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Feb 22 07:51:03 CET 2000

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Chong Chee Yong wrote:

> If the system BIOS has to initialise the graphics chipset using codes from
> itself (instead of the usual call to the graphics chipset BIOS), then the
> system BIOS becomes less generic, probably customised for the
> motherboard-graphics chip combination. I'm not sure if this would be the
> usual case as it seems less cost-effective, because everytime the
> graphics chip changes architecturally, the system BIOS has to change.

The system bios is a bit different for every motherboard type. There are
lots of subtle differences between these motherboards and each one
requires tweaks.

Example: the c440gx and l440gx+ motherboards are incredibly similar (check
them out on intel.com). They have different BIOSes.

Thanks for the ROM base address info. This could be useful.

ron

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de