[OpenBIOS] Video (particularly 440GX)

Marcus Gossner mgossner at inova-computers.de
Tue Feb 22 13:54:27 CET 2000

>> so, i gather that this dedicated pci bus connects to the graphics
chipset.
>> and since it appears as another pci device, it must implement the pci
>> configuration space, and thus it has an expansion ROM base address
>> register which we can determine if a BIOS exist or not. If it has one,
>> then it is likely that the initialization of the graphics chip is done by
>> the this BIOS instead of the system BIOS.
>
>Unfortunately it may not be that simple on motherboards with integrated
>graphics. There is only one NVRAM chip. This NVRAM is owned by the PIIX4E
>bridge. I am not sure how they would do the expansion ROM base address for
>the AGP stuff.
>
>But it is certainly worth a look.

If there is only one NVRAM the Video BIOS must be included
in the system BIOS.

Maybe you can do the following:
- start with your original BIOS
- copy the Video BIOS to a file (it starts at 0xC0000)
- include the file into your BIOS
- move the Video BIOS to 0xC0000
- start it

I think that should work.