[OpenBIOS] sorry to ask this again

Massimo Dentico m.dentico at teseo.it
Wed Apr 5 00:13:45 CEST 2000

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Massimo Dentico wrote:
> >
> > "Ronald G. Minnich" wrote:
> > >
> > > If someone has the *code* example for calling the vga init on a vga card I
> > > could use it.
> >
> > Sorry for the delay. No distractions this time, only assembly code
> > for swithing video modes. ;-) This work, at least for me. Obviously,
> > I'm not writing BIOS usually :o) .. so, I don't know if it lacks
> > something for functioning as part of firmware.
>
> Thanks for posting code, unfortunately this code does not call the VGA
> BIOS to initialize the video card -- this code directly programs the VGA
> registers to switch modes, just like vga16fb in the Linux kernel.
>
> BIOS init must have already executed in order for this code to work.
>
> Regards,
>
>         Jeff

Ops .. an error due to my scarce knowledge of PC hardware
and this phrase on the Linux BIOS home page: ".. simple VGA
capability up WITHOUT a VGA BIOS ..". So, is there an absolutely
necessary initialization phase that precede the setting of a
video mode? To switch a video mode requires the setting of dozens
of registers .. I hope that the init phase isn't so complicated.

Sorry again, my intention was only to help.

Best regard.

--
Massimo Dentico
-