AW: AW: [OpenBIOS] OT: Bios access speeds

alex dinovitser adinov at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 03:40:41 CEST 1999

> Glue is, however, required for POST and GPIO. There are two ways to go
> with this, and this has been discussed to some degree. Using a GAL is
> definitely the cleanest solution. However, is there anybody who wants
> one of these who doesn't have access to a programmer? Traditional logic
> chips are more accessible to these people. It's still really cheap even
> though chip count will increase.
>
> Who agrees/disagrees?

Please run me through the logic required for the POST and GPIO.
I would have seriously thought that standard logic chips and buffers would be
all that's required. Furthermore, these are easier to troubleshoot, need no
programmer, available anywhere and are cheap. Using GALs will exclude all the
people who don't have a programmer (myself included), and GALs aren't as
commonly available (here in Australia anyway).

I would be happy to design the most compact logic circuit for the given
application, and I would be surprised if it requires an excessive number of
chips. Maybe we should do that first, and then decide if it its worthwhile
using GALs.
For 32 bit address decoding alone, it should be possible with around 6 chips (I
better check whats available now days, but please don't use only 74138 or 74139
!! that is wrong for our sort of address decoding)

Can someone please tell me exactly what is required here?
Do you need these functions to be accessible from a single address or a range
of addresses??
If it's a range of addresses, What is the range(s)
If it's is a single address, How easily do you want that address to be
changeable??

cheers,
===