Anybody still here?

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Sat Mar 6 05:29:28 CET 1999

Pill Ingo wrote:

> This is very easy ETEQ chipsets are relabelled VIA
> chipsets, in older versions also the VENDOR strings etc identified the
> chips as VIA - Products
> , i dont know whether ETEQ did change these strings, but the chips
> themselves  are still VIA-chipsets.
> ( due to licence contracts )
> example : VIA VPX = ETEQ EQ82C661X PCI

Really? How about say, a 82c6638/6629 AGP chipset? Where would one go
find out which chipset matches which? I guess 'll be working on VIA
chipsets, that's a relief, Eteq is a hard to find company.

Relabelled, well I'll be..

I was looking at an interesting spec today, the BIOS Boot spec. It
appears to push BIOS functionality similar to what has been suggested
here, such as letting the user pick which device to boot from if a
certain key is hit during the boot process. It also allows a
non-bootable or non-functioning device to tell the bios that it has
failed to boot by calling int 18h, returning control to the bios so that
it can attempt a boot of the next available device. It also suggests
that BIOS designers should think of any device as capable of booting
from parallel, serial, USB, etc.

All in all an interesting read.

It can be gotten from http://www.pheonix.com/products/specs.html

There's also some other neat documents there.

James Oakley