POST Probes -> Was -> Re: Here's a plan

Phil King pking at netschools.net
Wed Mar 10 18:11:50 CET 1999

>> MicroPose (MicroProse?) - do the Micro2000, which is a rather useful
>> POST probe.....
>>
>> It's not cheap, but well worth it for the usefulness, it is listening
>> address configurable, and will provide extra diagnostics like Osc check,
>> clock check tri state logic probe, and of course all the voltages....
>
>We *could* make our own. A POST card is an ultra-simple device, It
>simply latches data from a specific port reserved for POST (I forget
>which one off-hand though) and displays it via either a bank of 8 LEDs
>in binary or two 7-segment LED displays in hex.

If you're looking for a basic functionality POST card, I did a quickie web
search and came up with several.  Check out:

http://megacode.com/index.htm

http://www.datadepo.com/mpost.htm

http://www.micro2000.com/postprobe.htm

http://www.quicktech.com/qppcplus.htm

They vary wildly in price, but I found a local distributor for the megacode
ISA-Bus only product and went out this afternoon to pick one up for US$30
(+ $2.45 local sales tax.).  A lot less painful than rolling my own...

And the standard POST port is apparently 0x80.

					Cheers!

					Phil King
					pking at netschools.net