AW: List of popular chipsets

Stephan Mueller stephan_mueller at gmx.net
Mon Mar 15 15:17:49 CET 1999

> You can add 440LX to that list of yours.
did it. :)

> You will manually switch the line to CE and RW of the existing bios
> chip and have another similar chip with switched control lines on a
> PCI card.
PCI? No, ISA-Bus.
The BIOS is connected to the ISA-Bus via a 74 245 (addressdecoder).
The ISA-Bus is connected to the PCI-Bus via the PCI/ISA-Bridge.

> The computer will initially be booted from the original BIOS and a
> program will be written to the new BIOS in the same way as a
> conventional BIOS upgrade is performed, by manipulating the CE and RW
> lines of both chips.
Booting with orig. Bios, switching to second chip, flashing openBIOS,
reboot.
Testing, switching back to orig. Bios, reset.

> Is my understanding correct?
> I realise that RW can be 2 pins, just different implementation.
Why switching RW? RW is only interpreted my the Chip which has it's CE-Pin
enabled.
(i think so)

> Also, I am good at figuring out IC datasheets. Which chips are most
> commonly used for flash BIOS?
I've got a pascal-program called UniFLASH, really good. With a huge database
of chips
and algorithms (including the Chipset-programming!). If somebody is
interested i can
give you the URL.

Ciao,
	Stephan [SpaceNet-Systems]