Bios Specifications

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Thu Mar 18 07:44:22 CET 1999

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, James Oakley wrote:

> I was looking at an interesting spec today, the BIOS Boot spec.
Many of our ideas are from OpenFirmware IEEE-1275-1994. I saw that
specification from Phoenix and it sounded nice. But it was too
IA16-structured in my eyes and needs a bit of "platform cleanup"
What is a vision in my mind is at least a partly implementation of
IEEE-1275. Check out the OpenBIOS homepage for details on that IEEE
standard.

> that it can attempt a boot of the next available device. It also
> suggests that BIOS designers should think of any device as capable of
> booting from parallel, serial, USB, etc.

Hmm.. The Alpha AXP "Firmware" MILO uses parts of the Linux kernel linked
against the bios to support all hardware supported by Linux. This *may* be
a nice idea but on the other hand, it may be too bloated for a small 128kb
Flash

Regards,
=09Stefan Reinauer

--=20
SuSE GmbH                                       Can you afford *NOT*
Schanz=E4ckerstr. 10                                     to use Linux?
D-90443 N=FCrnberg                 =09
Germany                         =09=09=09AlphaPowered