[OpenBIOS] Re: uniFLASH, EEPROM vs. Flash

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Mon Mar 22 23:27:07 CET 1999

alex dinovitser wrote:

> > I compiled the same code (a program I wrote) in both compilers and
> > the difference was absolutely amazing in both binary size and speed.
> >
> > AND IT'S THE SAME CODE!
>
> Could you elaborate?
> you were comparing GC++ (?) with VC++ and what was the actual
> difference in .exe code size??

It was a simple program I wrote to communicate with a device I had made
(for data acquisition). Not only was the GCC executable much faster
(especially on initial loading) but it was 1 tenth the size as well.

> I am interested in this as I would like to port my work to GNU
> eventually. I am currently using Delphi.

Hmmm, you might be more interested in tcl/tk. Fortunately, Cygwin also
contains it. If you want to try tcl/tk get the excellent 'tcltutor'
program.

> Yes I tried that too. Is it a good way to 'break' into linux for a
> total novice?

To be honest, I doubt it. I like it because I'm a unix guy who hates
dealing with windows, and avoids it at all costs, even though I have to
use it at work.

For a total novice, get Slackware, it's much nicer for new users than
Red Hat. I see people trying Red Hat, hating it, then trying Slackware
and loving it.

--
James Oakley
jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message