[OpenBIOS] Re: uniFLASH, EEPROM vs. Flash

alex dinovitser adinov at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 21:34:31 CET 1999

Thank you James for your information,

I have had a little bit of a dabble with linux, but I don't find such
user-friendly applications like under Window$.
I can't even get GIMP to work for some reason.

> > I am interested in this as I would like to port my work to GNU
> > eventually. I am currently using Delphi.
>
> Hmmm, you might be more interested in tcl/tk. Fortunately, Cygwin also
> contains it. If you want to try tcl/tk get the excellent 'tcltutor'
> program.

Thanks for that idea, I will try tcltutor. Any good websites for
learning tcl/tk??

I was initially considering porting the code to GCC or something, and
then re-write the user interface from scratch. If Tcl/tk can make it
easier, that would be great.

---snip----

> For a total novice, get Slackware, it's much nicer for new users than
> Red Hat. I see people trying Red Hat, hating it, then trying Slackware
> and loving it.

Can you briefly tell me why???
What are the key differences?

I have tried Slackware (InfoMagic) back in late 1995, but didn't find
it very satisfying. Have they improved that much?

Why doesn't someone write windows95 clone for Linux, from
installation, to the user interface? Is it that hard to do?
User friendliness is just about the only thing Micro$oft have got
right I think, and that contribution should not be discarded, but
copied and further improved by Linux.

regards,

==