[OpenBIOS] What OpenBIOS should contain

Edward Brotsman Dreger eddy at intc.net
Sun Jul 25 01:36:55 CEST 1999

> 3) The ability to boot from many media (network, cd, floppy, ide
> etc). Network booting would be nice but the network card support
> may be a bit cumbersome.

How about a "combination" netboot approach?  The BIOS could maybe handle
all of the netboot _except_ the NIC driver.

Store the NIC driver on a specially-formatted floppy.  The floppy would
call a BIOS routine to register NIC driver of size XXXX at address XXXX,
and the BIOS would take over.

It's a bit kludgy and backwards way of loading an option ROM, but who says
existing BIOSes aren't kludgy and backwards? ;-)

My $.02

Eddy

  Edward Brotsman Dreger                 "Your Success is Our Success
  Network & Systems Manager            Our Expertise is Your Advantage"
  Brian's Consulting Services /~\__/~\   www.brics.com * 316-794-8922
SPAMbot bait:  abuse at localhost  postmaster at localhost  blacklist at brics.com

-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message