[OpenBIOS] Why protected mode?

AndreasHofer AndreasHofer at compuserve.com
Wed Jul 28 18:48:50 CEST 1999

Nachricht geschrieben von
INTERNET:openbios at elvis.informatik.uni-freiburg.de

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Brian Hurt wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, the linux boot sequence uses IBM-PC BIOS
> functions.  I found a number of int 0x13 (diskette services) and int 0x10
> (video services) calls in arch/i386/boot/setup.S.  Even Grub makes heavy
> use of BIOS services- a quick grep revealed 23 different BIOS calls,
using
> services 0x13 (disk), 0x10 (video), 0x1a (RTC), and 0x16 (keyboard).

 That's not a problem -- these are not mandatory and even now there are
some people that run Linux on ia32-based embedded systems.  They have no
BIOS and the kernel is started from flash memory.

Hi, Brian,

that is exactly what I was looking for all the time --- just booting Linux
on a bare machine whithout any BIOS. Could you give me some pointers on
that?

Andreas
-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message