Some stuff...

Mircea Ciocan mirceac at interplus.ro
Tue Feb 2 19:48:40 CET 1999

M Carling wrote:

> Welcome!
>
> I'm the FAQ maintainer, so I'll try to answer your questions.
>
> OpenBIOS is envisioned to serve the needs of MB manufacturers, hobbyists,
> and embedded systems developers.

	Great... :)
> There is no list archive yet, AFAIK. This is something we need to do.

	O.K., I'll keep every message on my computer, it seems from the low
traffic that my 10GB disk won't be filled right away ;) and I'll try to
setup a digest and an archive. BTW. feel free to forward me any relevant
old message.

> The guidelines are still flexible. About the only thing on which there
> seems to be a clear consensus (that had been controversial) is that
> OpenBIOS should support (as a compile time option) multiple chipsets
> in a single executable. This would enable MB manufacturers to compile
> one BIOS image for all their products.

	And now the BIGGEST question: what will that BIOS be, a resource
configurator and OS loader and nothing after boot, or it will offer some
services to be used after boot, if so what services and how? I think
that is the fundamental part of the design guidelines.	Related: are
those guidelines somewere in a written format, is about the IEEE 1275
ummm.... thing ??????
	As for multi-chipset, multi-processor support I think is a good thing
and Award's approach with a BIOS boot block who probe and then
decompress and load in the shadow memory the relevant module archives
stored in ROM is the best, of course YMHO. But somehow I don't thing
that the resultant image will be small enogh to be hold in a 128KB Flash
like now, I belive this  mostly irellevant for Main Boards manufacturers
but a BIG deal for embedded systems, of course somebody could want to
compile in only the necessary modules.

> There is no subproject leader for embedded systems, at this time.

	Then to put in another way, is anybody on this list doing embedded
BIOS/systems now ??? Please answer here or e-mail me so we can figure
out somethig because unfortunately in a embedded system we have a
totally different thingie like no "simple" OS loader, maybe even no OS
at all, but just a highly optimised API framework and yes I know that
somewere is a grossly over-priced Embedded DOS but I don't thing this is
a solution. Sugestions and comment wellcome :).
> The leader is Stefan Reinauer <stepan at linux.de>
>
> I don't have any docs on the boards you asked about.

	All right, I'll cry just once more:  :)

	PLEAZZ, pleazz, if some one has access at ALI chips ( mostly ALI 6117C
and super I/O) detailed documentation get in touch with me, is important
for me and maybe for the Open Source movement.

> Cheers,
	All the best, Mircea C.