Philosophical question...

Charles Esson charlese at cvs.com.au
Thu Feb 4 14:53:22 CET 1999

A bios has to provide enough support to load a program. Now where are you going to
load the program from. A floppy, nope that's stupid. From harddisk, why, what
great note from heaven said all computers come with a hard disk.

It is my view the network is the only sensible place to load it from.

So a bios has to load a OS ( application), and has to have network code so it can
load from the logical location.

In a perfect world the bios should hide from the OS the hardware. New hardware
should be able to add CPU independent drivers.

For a well thought out and complete answer to this question take look at IEEE
1275. Unfortunately like all complex questions the complete answer is not simple
to follow.

Now for the last statement, nobody is doing embedded control.

Yes I am, and I will ask the question, for embedded control why do you want to
boot an OS. You can fit a lot of code ( including the OS) in a $10 flash.

Regards

Charles Esson