Progress?

Simon Richter geier at psi5.com
Sun Feb 7 19:27:46 CET 1999

Joe'l' Mansford schrieb:

> No reason why we couldn't use
> a nice 'pretty' VGA setup util that sits on the harddrive, or a text one
> that runs from Floppy.

Well, you need some setup code in the BIOS in case hdd and floppy are
unavailable (Many machines come without floppies for security reasons). Also,
there should be an interface so that user space applications may access/change
the data (security set aside). So it's up to the user space programmers to
provide these interfaces.

> I appreciate that this isn't an ideal solution, but I've become very
> frustrated with BIOS' that simply don't have the right options for no good
> reason like, no option to boot A,ZIP/LS,SCSI,IDE-0 or the like.

You forgot PCMCIA memory cards... :-)

> As I understand it we are looking for a modular system that can be compiled,
> ultimately for any motherboard, is this correct?

Ultimately, yes. But this is still a long way to go.

CU
   Simon