clarifiaction etc.

karl-erik.asbjornsen at thomson-csf.no karl-erik.asbjornsen at thomson-csf.no
Tue Feb 9 14:28:47 CET 1999

A little messy mail:

>Media: EEPROM        BootDevice    BootDevice    Any Device
>Code:  BootLoader -> BIOS   ->     OSloader  ->  OS

I like this one, but I would also want things to be either in EEPROM or Any
device. If we have a mandatory minimal bootloader, which everyone has to compile
in, then optional stuff like loading bios from other device, loadin os-loader
directly from any device, incorporate os-loader in eeprom, run our new fancy
BIOS with hardware independent API's etc should be compiletime options.
If we have multiple choices compiled in, one should be able to press shift or
something to select which one to use at boot time, or else the configured
default is used. This means:
Initiate/test board/chipsets/whatever minimum needed.
Find out how to continue (Load bios etc.) / Test for keyboard (if support
compiled in) input (shift for boot menu, del for config menu etc, and if so,
start menu/config)
Run selected boot-module:
  Initiate boot-device (floppy/IDE-controller/scsi-controller/NIC etc)

I think I will have the time to develop for this project in a few weeks. What I
don't know how to program, I would like to learn! :) Haven't coded much directly
on hardware yet, except some small asm graphics 'demos', but one have to start
somewhere...

If you want to contact me directly, please do so my email to:
karlea at samfundet.no

Karl Erik
Karl Erik Asbjornsen, karlea at samfundet.no
http://www.samfundet.no/karlea