Boot Loader

Eric R. Kern eric_kern at ibm.net
Tue Feb 9 09:29:44 CET 1999

I'm a little confused with the following design:

>Media: EEPROM        BootDevice    BootDevice    Any Device
>Code:  BootLoader -> BIOS   ->     OSloader  ->  OS

Is the intention to have much of the BIOS code on the hard drive with only the
minimal amount of code on the EEPROM?  This sounds like a design IBM did years
ago (ever heard of microchannel?).  There are a number of problems with this
design, the biggest being that the user can accidentally delete the BIOS portion
on his/her hard drive and completly trash the system.  I would disagree with
using this design.

Sincerely,
Eric R. Kern