[OPENBIOS]: EEPROM size

Mircea Ciocan mirceac at interplus.ro
Fri Feb 12 15:33:53 CET 1999

Matthias Wächter wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Eric R. Kern wrote:
>
> > This provides for plenty of code space, especially when you consider
> > that modern EEPROMs shipping with systems are typically 512K bytes.

	ALL modern (P/P2) OEM motherboards that I have dealed with have 128KB
Flash EEPROMS, I only have seen one with 256KB and all the old ones with
64KB proms.
	It is easy to have a survey by going at http://www.ping.be/bios/ and
download some upgrades. But of course the modern BIOSes are composed of
some archives that are expanded for specific purposes ex. the setup
program, the ESCD updater, the BIOS itself and yes, even the little  the
EPA logo is stored in separate archives in LHA format in Award's case,
YMMV.
	I remember one of the first coolest things that I do to my BIOS was to
change the boot-up logo :).
	So, in the end don't count on more of 128KB of Flash on your typical
motherboard.

		Mircea C.
P.S. I'm working at that, but  don't expect to run dosemu on it ;)