[OpenBIOS] Intel holding back information

Niklas Ekström t97nek at student.tdb.uu.se
Fri Aug 6 02:16:27 CEST 1999

I have been in contact with Intel about obtaining the BIOS specifications
for various chipsets (in particular the 430FX which is the chipset of my
testing environment), but they seem very reluctant to give them away. I
guess it might depend on that a) you normally have to sign a
Non-Disclosure Agreement to obtain them (which doesn't go well with the
fact that I will make the source for the BIOS publicly available) and
possibly b) that I'm a private person and not a well recogized BIOS
manufacturing company.

Does anyone have a good suggestion as how to solve this issue? I think
this is quite a major issue. Even though I think I have a clue on how to
do most things (detecting memory size and type (FPM/EDO)), I also believe
there are some things that you would actually need the BIOS specification
for (atleast so I don't have to _guess_ how to do some things).

I believe some of you here (professional BIOS programmers) have read these
specifications. Can you give any hint to how much information these
specifications contain and how vital that information is? Also, is it
possible to obtain that information for any other source?

/ Niklas

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de