[OpenBIOS] Intel holding back information

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Sun Aug 8 23:13:24 CEST 1999

>      Niklaus would be taking a bigger risk if he signed Intel's
> NDA.  Right now, he has no legal obligation to protect anyone's
> secrets.
>
>      If a disgruntled chemist at Coca-Cola gave you their secret
> formula, he would be in deep trouble.  But no one could stop you
> from selling cola drink (you couldn't *call* it "Coca-Cola", of
> course), or posting the formula on the web.

The company will probably try to sue anyway if OpenBIOS cuts into
Award's profits. I don't think any of us has the financial resources to
counter something like that. If they don't, ok we're lucky, but I'd like
to avoid that kind of stuff. There's been a lot of bad patent stuff
going around lately so I checked something out:

http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US05732268__

That does *not* look good.

James Oakley
-