[OpenBIOS] Intel holding back information

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Sun Aug 8 18:35:25 CEST 1999

"Timothy J. Massey" wrote:

> Even if your BIOS bears no resemblance to the one you disassembled, because
> you *did* disassemble it, the makers of the BIOS you disassembled can say to
> you, "But you saw our code and did it yourself.  That's illegal."  And
> they'd be right.

This is very true. A couple of years back, some guys who worked for
Matrox quit and started their own video chipset company. Matrox
successfully blocked their entry into the market because they saw
proprietary Matrox engineering information.

I completely agree with Matrox, too. Seeing it is enough. It is pretty
much impossible to implement a clean room solution if you saw
information from another company.

Therefore, OpenBIOS developers, NEVER DISASSEMBLE A PROPRIETARY BIOS.
That would compromise the whole effort.

James Oakley
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de