[OpenBIOS] OT: Bios access speeds

Timothy J. Massey tmassey at iname.com
Thu Apr 29 16:17:10 CEST 1999

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:03:52 -0230, James Oakley wrote:

>"Timothy J. Massey" wrote:
>
>> Isn't the ISA bus usually limited to 8MHz?  I've seen ISA busses overclocked
>> as high as 16MHz, but never any higher.  So, a 20MHz scope should show you
>> how fast the CPU is accessing the BIOS.
>
>You're right. I was wondering how fast the BIOS was accessed, ISA speed
>or something closer to memory speed (I think it's ISA speed, but I'll
>check anyway). If it's ISA speed, the board will be much simpler as we
>can just wire the signals from the ISA bus.

After I reread your message, I figured that was what you were asking.  But
here's my question, I guess:  what do you mean, "We can just wire the
signals from the ISA bus."  How can you just pick what signal wires you use?
 If the BIOS needs line x, you need to give it x!  And if the BIOS signal
wires are already using ISA bus signal lines, then why would you have had a
question about how fast the CPU access the BIOS?  In that case, the access
speed to the BIOS would *have* to be ISA bus speeds!

Of course, my understanding is not relevant to the working of your circuit.
If you don't feel like wasting your time on my understanding, I would
understand.  ;)

Tim Massey

-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message