AW: [OpenBIOS] OT: Bios access speeds

Timothy J. Massey tmassey at iname.com
Fri Apr 30 23:11:07 CEST 1999

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:50:39 -0400, Timothy J. Massey wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:22:17 +0200, Stephan Mller wrote:
>
>>With these 2 things you can connect a flash/eprom/prom/whatever to a
>>specific
>>location in the system-memory (first 16meg, i think on isa-bus)
>

>Ah!  Very much like video memory or adapter RAM...  **NOW** I understand the
>ISA bus speeed question and why it was important!!

I was looking through my motherboard manual today, and I happened to see a
block diagram of the Intel GX chipset.  According to the block diagram, the
BIOS uses the same interface into the chipset as the ISA bus.  While the
BIOS may not actually be attached to the ISA bus, it is accessed in the same
way by the chipset (and, therefore, the CPU).

Of course, this was a rough block diagram and, besides, what do I know?

Tim Massey

-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message