Continue Development

Simon Richter geier at psi5.com
Wed Sep 2 01:27:56 CEST 1998

Stefan Reinauer schrieb:

> 1) Do we need the 16bit bios stuff in an OpenBIOS?
>    I'd say a clear "NO" here. This does mean, on the other hand, that we
>    won't support any proprietary systems like windows or DOS anymore,
>    but as for using DOS/Windows, Award and AMI BIOS do a good job, this is
>    not really needed.
>    People who need more features like netboot and a good console in their
>    BIOS very likely use Linux or any BSD flair.

IMHO this is not the way to go, since many people still have Windows95
installed (because of the games), but would like OpenBIOS. I would leave an
option that links a set of wrapper functions.

> I'd suggest C, [...]

Agree. I also have some further thoughts on this, but I'll post them tomorrow.

> 3) Testing platforms

Well, I've got a bunch of testing machines as well as old NE1000 cards here.
If I find some time (and the manual and a NE/2 for my PS/2), I can do some
testing here.

Also, I think if someone just wants to run Linux and nothing else, a Linux
kernel with the BIOS querying code commented out would do as well. So the main
reason to use OpenBIOS should not be "It loads my Linux
bigger/better/faster/more" but rather "I like to have a boot console" or "My
company saves $200 on harddisks for each computer". Just my two cents.

Also, the BIOS should be optimized towards minimal data storage space rather
than speed. It won't harm speed that much, but the final OS has to live with
all that stuff in RAM.

CU
   Simon