New Code :-)

Philipp Rumpf prumpf at jcsbs.lanobis.de
Sat Nov 14 21:16:22 CET 1998

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 08:25:32PM +0100, daniel.engstrom at riksnett.no wrote:
> On 13 Nov, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > enough. I will try to write support for the Intel 430HX/TX/VX/.. chipsets,
> > as I have an old HX board at home. If anyone is capable of doing this
> > (it's not really hard, as you just need the datasheets for your chipset
> > and a board containing the chipset itself to test)
> I must admit that having the data sheets helps, but the only chipset I
> have found data sheets for is the ACC1287.
There are data sheets available for Intel chipsets at least (just search
developer.intel.com for 82437VX/HX... 82371SB/...).

> Having a working bios image
> on disk is what really helps, ndissasm is your friend. Hint: the bios
> enters at 0xffff0 (eg. 'ndissasm -e 0xfff0 -o 0xffff0 rom.bin >
> bin.txt' for a 64k bios)
Humm. I don't know how legal it is to do this. If I were you, I were very
careful at least not to include any code unchanged.

> > I thought about building something like an eprom simulator which can be
> > plugged into the bios socket of a board and to the parallel port of
> > another computer which just holds a file with the bios image. This would
> > make defelopment and testing *quite* faster. Has anyone experiences with
> > this or does anyone know whether there are ready, cheap solutions for
> > this?
> I know they exist. A one Mbit version costs about $500 here. They can
> be bough from DanBit http://www.danbit.dk (Danish languge pages only) A
> friend of mine is thinking of designing one for other reasons, he can
> be found at http://www2.e.kth.se/~e92_jre/ .

I think the c't Flashrom Writer is less expensive (100,- DM, if I remember
correctly).

> Console in is not done yet. I can read the keyboard, but I don't keep
> track of the shift-state, etc. Serial console in is not done yet. (What
> terminal emulation should we use? Some very basic I  think.) Serial
> console is fixed to com1,9600,8n1
Do we need that the serial console does anything else but to print what
we give it and go to a new line when we send a '\n' to it ? I don't think
that's something to worry about.