Interrupts needed by LILO

M Carling m at midgard.net
Thu Nov 26 17:49:04 CET 1998

> I thought, a main topic for OpenBIOS development is full access to the
> hard drives so there is no trouble with large disks, large partitions and
> kernels laying somewhere on them.

Perhaps I'm confused. Shouldn't OpenBIOS be able implement the functionality
of LILO? I thought that LILO existed because BIOS16 are incapable of loading
anything that isn't DOS-like. Doesn't LILO look to the BIOS like DOS? In
other words, when a BIOS is loading LILO, doesn't it "think" it's loading
DOS?

> I thought, a main topic for OpenBIOS development is full access to the
> hard drives so there is no trouble with large disks, large partitions and
> kernels laying somewhere on them.

That sounds right. So why have a new LILO? Why not just not need LILO
anymore?