[OpenBIOS] Introduction

Dave Cinege dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org
Wed Mar 4 14:03:30 CET 1998

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > Concerning Microsoft OS's and Bios, at least in the case of Win95, I
> > have it on pretty good authority that the OS uses *none* of the Bios
> > functions. This is documented in "Unauthorized Windows 95" and confirmed
> > by the VP of engineering at Award Software.  What I got from my
>
> Not true.Windows 95 do not use bios in full 32-bit mode. But they are
> able to fall back to bios mode, and they do it quite often. (Load
> hyperdisk accelator to try).

Win95 (98) *IS* DOS no matter all the 32-bit extensions or not. I've even read
Caldera was able to replace the DOS base with their OpenDOS, and will prove this
in court concerning their M$ lawsuit.

I'm still not convinced what WinNT actually is. I know for sure that it uses
DOS to boot. (Via my tireless hacking at it to get it to fully reside on and
boot from a logical partition, of which I was successful except for 2 files.)
It needs DOS to get to NTLDR at the least.

--
http://www.psychosis.com/emc/		Elite MicroComputers   908-541-4214
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/	Linux Router Project

"The only way to remain cutting edge, is to design for things that do not yet
exist."  --  Me   : )

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe