[OpenBIOS] Hello World

Oliver Xymoron oxymoron at waste.org
Wed Mar 11 12:21:57 CET 1998

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:

> cpa at hopper.unh.edu said:
> >  What would it take just to write a Hello World program?
>
> Ditch your fancy new SVGA cards, install an old MDA card, and
> The MDA cards require absolutely no setup. They display text from the moment
> the power goes on. I suspect older [CEV]GA cards will be similar.

It would be nearly as easy to generate output on the serial port using
polled IO. Presumably all the developers have at least a serial port and a
second machine that they're not ready to kill their BIOS on. I've recently
written a small library of assembly functions to do this, include register
and memory dump routines and a printf-like varargs function for debugging
the bootloader of an embedded operating system I'm writing. The routines
are currently written for MASM - if anyone would like them, I can make
them available.

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe