[OpenBIOS] Re: Some Questions and ideas for gnu-bios

Dave Cinege dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org
Tue Feb 17 18:42:13 CET 1998

Chris Arguin wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > Under linux, bios is not used (well, with exceptions of APM).
>
> What about the IDE LBA mappings? I don't think that is done inside the
> Linux kernel, so I imagine it is handled by the BIOS. Sure, it isn't a
> call to Int 13, but we've got to handle that.
>
> Also, some people (like myself, unforunitly) have a SCSI BIOS onboard.
> AFAIK, that SCSI BIOS is part of the regular BIOS (corrections, anyone?).
> If so, we will have to handle that as well to get Linux to boot.

Not likely. For the NCR and Adpatec it's it own BIOS even though it's on the same chip. It's just loaded at the end of the normal BIOS (or a specific offset) and chained once the initial bios is done.

I posted once before that with the old shareware triton MRBIOS you could make it
NCR aware by doing a binary copy to the end of it just before flashing.
The NCR BIOS image was available right over the net. The Adaptec one (and the company), might not be so easy to deal with.

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe
Problems?  dcinege at psychosis.com