[OpenBIOS] Licensing of the code.

Dave Cinege dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org
Tue Feb 17 17:08:37 CET 1998

David Woodhouse wrote:

> dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org said:
> >  I don't think BSD is good for this, and a straight GPL wouldn't
> > really be the right thing either.
>
> Why so?

It is not possible to distribute a BIOS in a completly libary type form.When
it comes to a manufature making changes to support a peice of hardware on
their boards, this means they must release their changes. If this code is a
dependant on a peice of propritary or sub licensed peice of hardware they
may not be able to (or just won't) use our BIOS.

IF the finaly product is VERY modular and VERY flexable, then a regular GPL
might not cause problems.

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe