[OpenBIOS] Licensing of the code.

Dave Cinege dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org
Tue Feb 17 17:31:48 CET 1998

David Woodhouse wrote:

> dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org said:
> > When it comes to a manufature making changes to support a peice of
> > hardware on their boards, this means they must release their changes.
>
> Fair enough. Is BSD the same?

Haven't looked at BSD fully, but I understand it to be more along the lines
of
a PD (free for all) type licence. For this type of project I would not want
to do
work that Award could come by and just take it for their own.

I think a middle ground might be a licease that makes normal usage GPL like
but allows the OpenBIOS group (I guess that's what we are) to sublicease it
companies for the purpose listed above. (I think the XFree86 project did
something like this)

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe