[OpenBIOS] comments and ideas

Markus Kaufmann kaufmann at pks-software.de
Thu Feb 19 13:26:08 CET 1998

Hi.

At 00:08 19.02.98 -0500, you wrote:
>what is really needed, is a a true 32bit bios for people that single boot
>Linux. this bios should  boot directly into protected mode (this way it can
>load uncompressed kernels).
What is the advantage of an uncompressed kernel?

>it should be able to boot the kernel image from any IDE partition on any of
>the 4 disks (hda,hdb,hdc,hdd), or find the kernel on the IDE cdrom (to be
>able to boot directly into an install program from a linux distribution CD.
>and as a fallback, boot from the floppy.
>
>later versions could be made to boot from SCSI Disks. ZIPdisks, LS drive.

This means, that the first version is only for Computers with Linux
and IDE-Harddisk. I think only very few people are using such a configuration.

Most Linux installations i know are either private computers with Win95+Linux
or Linux servers with an SCSI-Harddisk.

>we should keep this bios as simple as possible,
Where's the advantage of an own BIOS, if it is only a small subset of
the normal BIOS? The only advantage of your proposal i can see is the booting
from any harddisk, but since there is only Linux on the system ...

Bye
  Markus Kaufmann

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/