[OpenBIOS] could we get better performance?

David Woodhouse Dave at imladris.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 10:19:12 CET 1998

johnl at meer.net said:
> I'm curious what effect a given implementation of a BIOS has on system
> performance.  From what I understand (and I understand only a little
> about the BIOS), DOS et al. use the BIOS functions much more than
> Linux, which may just use them to boot and then leave the BIOS
> functionality behind and use its own drivers.

I suspect that the main performance increase would be under DOS and Windows,
yes. Take a look at http://www.mrbios.com/proof.htm for an idea of what we're
aiming at there.

> Is performance affected more by the particular settings that the BIOS
> can make (memory access, etc.) that would change performance?

Under Linux, this will be the major factor - we can offer all the more esoteric
settings that other BIOSes don't support, so we can eke a little more out of
the beast here too.

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England.   (+44) 0976 658355
    Dave at imladris.demon.co.uk        http://dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk
	    finger pgp at dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/