[OpenBIOS] serial console

Markus Kaufmann kaufmann at pks-software.de
Thu Feb 19 13:48:29 CET 1998

Hi.

At 04:29 19.02.98 -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>If you haven't done it before, try administrating a sun box over serial.
>Enjoy the ability to halt and reboot the system, to upgrade the kernel
>without fear, to even reinstall the system completely without being at the
>physical console.

There are many servers from Sun and HP (and others) where the serial
port IS the console.

When i got my HP server, i tried to connect my VGA screen to it, but
i couldn't find the port. I looked closer and realized the small
label at the serial port "COM1/console" .

These HP servers (and workstations) are able to boot from harddisk,
network, CDROM and tape (DAT). I don't know, if they are able to
boot from floppy (probably not, since they haven't one).

Bye
  Markus Kaufmann

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/